Cardamom: Elettaria cardamomum, Green Indian Cardamom, True Cardamom, Elaychi, Lila alchi.
We offer green cardamom, grown in rain forests, from India. The green seed pods of the plant are dried and the seeds inside the pod are used in Indian and other Asian cuisines either whole or in a ground form. It is the most widely cultivated species of cardamom. Cardamom is an ingredient in many Indian curries, and is a primary contributor to the flavor of masala chai. In the Middle East and Iran, cardamom is used to flavor coffee and tea. In Turkey, it is used to flavor the black Turkish tea (Kakakule in Turkish).
Cardamom Roasted Baby Carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom or (Ground seeds from approx 5 pods)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 pound baby carrots (Greens removed, except the bottom bit if desired)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Adjust rack to the center.
- Peel carrots and place them on baking sheet.
- In a very small bowl, mix cardamom, oil, honey and salt.
- Use pastry brush, or fingers, to thinly coat carrots with honey mixture. (Keep remainder for basting.)
- Roast carrots on baking sheet in preheated 400 degree F oven, basting them approx every 8 mins until tender, approx 25 mins.
- Remove from oven and baste once more for an appetizing shine.
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (Ground seeds or from approx 5 pods)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Red Star Quick Rise yeast
- Combine 1 cup flour, yeast, and other dry ingredients.
- Combine milk and water, heat to 120-130 degrees F.
- Combine liquid ingredients, dry mixture, and butter in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Add egg and beat for 1 minute.
- Gradually add remaining flour and knead with dough hook for 5-7 minutes until smooth and springy.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top.
- Cover, let rise until dough tests ripe.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Punch down to remove air bubbles.
- Divide dough into 3 parts.
- Roll each piece into a 16 inch rope.
- Line up ropes 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheet.
- Braid loosely.
- Pinch ends together and tuck under.
- Cover, let rise until indentation remains when touched.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes.
Cardamom Mango Lassi
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (Ground seeds or from approx 2 pods)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut water
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups mango chunks (fresh or frozen, don't add ice if using frozen)
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- Ice - optional only if using fresh mango
- Combine all ingredients in blender and mix until smooth.
- Taste and add more honey for additional sweetness if desired.
- Add ice if desired.
- Fill glasses and garnish with a sprinkle of cardamom.
- Lassi stays fresh for a day if covered and refrigerated.