Indus Organics Amaranth Seeds (Rajgira, Ramdana), 2 Lb Bag, Sulfite Free, No Added Sugar, Premium Grade, High Purity, Freshly Packed
Amaranth has been cultivated as a grain for 8,000 years. The yield of grain amaranth is comparable to rice or maize. It was a staple food of the Aztecs, and was used as an integral part of Aztec religious ceremonies. Although amaranth was cultivated on a large scale in ancient Mexico, Guatemala, and Peru, nowadays it is only cultivated on a small scale there, along with India, China, Nepal, and other tropical countries; thus, the potential exists for further cultivation in those countries, as well as in the U.S. Amaranth the super seed is called by many names. In most part of India, it’s called Ramdana meaning god’s seed or Rajgira that means royal seed.
Cooking amaranth is very easy – measure grains and water, boil water, add grains, gently boil with the occasional stir for 15-20 minutes, then drain, rinse, and enjoy!
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups Amaranth seeds
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms- of your choice
- Salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- Soak porcini mushroom in a bowl with water for 20 minutes.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil and onions in a pan. Add water and amaranth seeds. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Add salt.
- In a separate pan, heat up 1 tablespoon butter,1 tablespoon olive oil, and garlic. Cook all mushrooms. Add salt and saute for 10 minutes.
- Pour amaranth mixture on top of mushrooms.
Amaranth Seeds with Scrambled Eggs
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of spinach/any favorite vegetable of your choice (capsicum, tomatoes, green onions, garlic etc.)
- ½ cup of Indus Organics amaranth seeds
- Beat 4 eggs and whisk together with milk and salt.
- Heat olive oil in pan. Add garlic if you like to add and cook 2 minutes.
- Add vegetables and Amaranth; saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Bring down heat and pour in egg mixture. Gently and evenly stir eggs until cooked.
Amaranth Seeds Fish Fillets
- 2 fish fillets
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Indus Organics amaranth seeds
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Cut fish fillets into sticks and cover them in a beaten egg.
- Cover fish sticks with Amaranth Seeds, making a thick crust by patting the grains with fingers.
- In a pan, heat up vegetable oil. Cook fish sticks over medium heat and enjoy with stir fry side vegetables.