Mustard seeds are small, about 1mm in diameter. They may be colored from yellowish white to black. They are important spices in many regional cuisine. We offer black and yellow mustard in ground and whole forms.
Mustard Seed Homemade Mustard
- 1/3 cup yellow or black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (or water)
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 big pinch cayenne pepper
- 2-4 tablespoons water (as needed)
- 1-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, except horseradish, in stainless steel bowl.
- Cover and permit to stand for 2-3 days.
- Place in blender, add horseradish if desired, mix until smooth. (Add water to achieve preferred consistency.)
- Will retain freshness for up to six months, when refrigerated, but best for the first month.
Mustard Seed and Ginger Cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons yellow or black mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons coriander, chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 large head cauliflower (approx 2 lbs), chopped into 1" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Cook mustard seeds, covered, stirring occasionally until popping concludes.
- Add ginger and turmeric and cook, while stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add cauliflower, stirring to coat with oil.
- Add 1/2 cup water and steam the mixture, covered.
- Add more water by the tablespoonful if it evaporates, until the cauliflower is just tender, about 6-10 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and coriander (optional).
Mustard Seed Indian Spuds
- 4 teaspoons yellow or black mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, rinsed but not peeled, halved.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and mustard seeds in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, covered, until seeds begin to pop.
- Stir in cumin seeds and turmeric, then potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add 1 tablespoon water, cook, covered, until potatoes are tender (20-25 minutes).
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, coriander, cumin, cayenne, and salt to taste.
- Cook, uncovered, turning occasionally, until potatoes are golden (8-10 minutes).
- Stir in cilantro and serve.